Musicals101.com: Site Map
Compiled by John Kenrick
MUSICALS ON STAGE
You can see a one-page Capsule Stage History or go to detailed essays on the following -
- Musical Pioneers: 1700-1865
- French and Viennese Operetta
- The Early American Musical: 1866 to 1879
- The First Musical Comedies: 1879 to 1899
- British Music Hall
- American Variety
- Minstrel Shows
- Gilbert and Sullivan
- Britain & the USA After Gilbert and Sullivan
- Stage: 1900s
- Stage: 1910s
- Stage: 1920s
- Stage: 1930s
- Stage: 1940s
- Stage 1950s I: The Golden Decade
- Stage 1950s II: The Composers
- Stage 1950s III: The Directors
- Stage 1950s IV: The Great Dames
- Stage: 1960s
- Stage: 1970s I: Rock Musicals
- Stage 1970s II: Concept Musicals & Revivals
- Stage 1970s III: New Book Musicals
- Stage: 1980s
- Stage: 1990s
- Stage: 2000s
- And the Future?
Cabaret 101 - nightspots that launched many musical careers.
MUSICALS ON FILM
- Screen 1927-30: Hollywood Learns To Sing
- Screen 1930s: "In the Shadows"
- Screen 1940s: "Yankee Doodle Do or Die"
- Screen 1950s: "Get That Long Face Lost"
- Screen 1960s: "A Spoonful of Sugar"
- Screen 1970s: "Hopelessly Devoted"
- Screen 1980s: "Crazy World"
- Screen 1990s: "A Whole New World"
- Screen 2000s: Film's Second Century
- And the Future?
MUSICALS ON TELEVISION
- Musicals on Television
- TV Bibliography
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: JOHN KENRICK
- Author Profile - profile of Musicals101 creator, John Kenrick
- John's Lecture Topics - A comprehensive list of John's current topics
- Upcoming Talks - A complete schedule of John's public talks
- Press Info - Press kit for Musicals101.com
- You can reach the John at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Chorus Line - the musical that spoke to and for a generation.
- George M. Cohan - "The Man Who Owned Broadway"
- Noel Coward - a tribute to "The Master"
- Gilbert & Sullivan - the first monarchs of musical comedy
- Historic NY Theatres - information on past and present venues
- How to Put on a Musical - a guide for schools & community groups
- Al Jolson - "The World's Greatest Entertainer"
- Making Broadway Musicals - how they are written and produced
- Ethel Merman- the First Lady of American Musical Comedy
- The Merry Widow - a tribute to this landmark musical hit.
- Musical Theatre Research - Where to find resources
- Theatre in New York: A Brief History - Essays trace how NYC became theatre capital of the world
- Variety-Vaudeville - music halls, variety, burlesque, vaudeville
- Ziegfeld & The Follies - Broadway's legendary producer
- Show Rights Index - Who to contact for licensing rights.
- Hard to Find Performance Rights - How to track down rights to rare musicals.
STAGE & SCREEN CHRONOLOGIES
REVIEWS & ESSAYS
- Theatre/TV Reviews
- Book Reviews
- CD Reviews
- DVD Reviews
- Theatre Chats - John Kenrick's musings on musicals, show biz, lfe, and all that jazz
- (An archive of select articles from our old Theatre Lover's Journal (1998-2007)
- Musicals: Who's Who
Brief biographical sketches of more than 400 musical theatre and film greats.
- Musicals vs. History
Ever wondered just how accurate musicals about historical figures are? The scoop on the real people behind Evita, King & I and more.
- Musicals: A Calendar
A monthly listing of birthdays, openings and other memorable events.
- Script Samples from Historic Musicals (The Black Crook, Robin Hood, Little Johnny Jones, etc.)
- Sample Lyrics from Historic Musicals
- Stage Gallery I
- Stage Gallery II
- Stage Gallery III
- Stage Gallery IV
- Cabaret Gallery
- George M. Cohan Gallery
- Light Opera of Manhattan
- A Life in 20th Century Showbiz - the family of vaudeville & Hollywood veteran Armand Wright share their memories, photos and more.
- Gays and Musicals: Our Love is Here to Stay - Essays and bibliography on an all too rarely discussed topic.
- Suggested Links
- LOOM: The Unofficial Light Opera of Manhattan Homepage - A loving recollection of a now gone theater company, with essays and photos.
- Karen Miller/Rochelle Seldin Homepage - A tribute to two piano-bar legends & their friends